Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tree Morphology and Creative Writing


On the 8the day of class we did a reading facilitation about the third chapter of Wessels centered around stumps and basic tree morphology.  We quickly figured out that our group struggles with the exact order and functions of the different layers within the trunk of a tree.

Heartwood: center - "As a tree grows, older xylem cells in the center of the tree become inactive and die, forming heartwood.  The main function of the heartwood is to support the tree."

Xylem (Sapwood): "The xylem, or sapwood, comprises the youngest layers of wood.  Its network of thick-walled cells brings water and nutrients up from the roots through tubes inside of the trunk to the leaves and other parts of the tree."

Cambium: "The very thin layer of growing tissue that produces new cells that become either xylem, phloem or more cambium.  Every growing season, a tree's cambium adds a new layer of xylem to its trunk, producing a visible growth ring in most trees."

Phloem: "The phloem or inner bark, which is found between the cambium and the outer bark, acts a a food supply line by carrying sap (sugar and nutrients dissolved in water) from the leaves to the rest of the tree."

Bark: "The trunk, branches and twigs of the tree are covered with bark. The outer bark, which originates from phloem cells that have worn out, died and been shed outward, acts as a suit of armor against the world by protecting the tree from insects, disease, storms, and extreme temperatures.  In certain species, the outer bark also protects the tree from fire."


After learning all about these parts of the tree, we went inside and split into groups to draw a landscape.


The drawing from my group!

Then the two groups switched landscapes and were given the chance to be creative and to write a story about the landscape - here's what we came up with!

The drawing from the other group - from this we created a story!
Once upon a time...a fire swept through my homeland.  I could hear the crackling and popping from a distance, as great grey clouds came overhead.  As the fire approached the leaves of my friends began to shrivel and crinkle.  The heat crept up my trunk, scorching the ground around me.  The birches fell, animals scattered, and insects poured out from everywhere - the land around me was cleared.  As I recovered more light shone on my branches.  I now have the same marks that my grandmother bears, but she tells me not to mourn those that stood around me as new friends will arrive soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment